Yoga alignment tip of the day (psst… stand-up and try it as you read):
TADASANA – THE MOUNTAIN POSE
Aligned from the ground up.
- Feet facing forward at pelvic width. Lift the toes and arches.
Anchor the four corners of your feet. Relax the toe tips down.
- Calves engaged. Hug to midline. Soften the knees.
- Quadriceps engaged. Lift the knee caps and roll the thighs inward. “Thighs back and wide.”
- Neutral pelvis. Align the hip bones (ASIS) in the same plane as the pubic bone. Engage the perineal muscles – Mula Bandha (root lock).
- Align pelvis over the ankles.
- Scoop the abdominals in and up, supporting the lumbar spine – Uddiyana Bandha (flying up).
- Position rib cage over pelvis drawing down on the floating ribs, opening the mid back (kidney) area.
- Open the chest by drawing the arm bones up and out and the shoulder blades down and into the ribs.
- Lift from the “Golden Thread.” Draw the head up from the base of the skull. Ears directly over the shoulder.
- Eyes gaze forward at a neutral location – Drishti
Relax the eyes to relax the mind.